Thursday 13 August 2015

Mannequins for scale


Photographs are really important, as it’s the first thing the buyer will see of your product. Good photos can even sell an item; mostly I’ve been really pleased with ours but one recurring issue I have is with scale. Those earrings might look cute, but how do you know that they will hang just under an ear lobe or down by your knees without any kind of reference?

I do, of course, describe all this in the listing but a lot of people just can’t visualise without an actual image to look at, and here is where my problem lay. I’ve tried using a ruler, or coins, etc, but it doesn’t work that well. Some sellers use a human model, but I know that squicks some people, as they don’t want jewellery somebody else has worn, and since a lot of my stuff is OOAK, it’s a bit awkward. So, I figured the best option was something like a dressmakers’ dummy, a dress form, or something like those that might be used in shop display.

The local shops had what I wanted but they’re quite dear, like, £30 ($50?) minimum, and usually a lot more.Not exorbitant, but more than I really wanted to pay. We went into Dunhelm Mill the other day, and they had this dress form half price, reduced because it was damaged. The poor thing was listing to one side (My husband reckoned she’d been on the sherry!) She was kind of pink and frothy but I decided I could change the outfit. Anyway, my beloved crouches down and dives under the frothy skirt (he has no shame, my husband!) and declares he can fix it. It wouldn’t be something the shop can do because it would mean cutting the fabric underneath to put in a new plate, so we bought it. Twenty minutes after getting home, the mannequin is repaired and looking good as new. Still pink, as I discovered the outfit was actually stuck on but by then I was getting used to it anyway. And it amuses me to see Steampunk or gothic stuff modelled on a pink pinny.

Say hello to Polly (we name everything in our house!) in all her pink finery. 


Since Polly, I have also added a head mannequin and, more recently, a hand. Neither of these are clad in pink, which is probably a relief for my visitors! At this rate I’ll soon have a whole girl!






No comments:

Post a Comment